Monday 29 April 2013

Splatter Nails

I spend a lot of time on Pinterest looking for inspiration.  I bounced around a few different designs but eventually settled on my initial idea.  I tend to choose designs that don't have a lot of clean up after but, hey, sometimes you need to get a little messy.

For this splatter design, I started with a base of "White On" by Sally Hansen.
The colours I chose to do that splatter were "One Time Lime" by Nicole by OPI, "Vio-last" by Covergirl, and "Outrageous Orange" by Sally Hansen.
 I used three cocktail straws to do the splattering.  I flattened out the ends a bit and found that this gave a better splatter and I was less likely to get big drops on my nails.  To do this design you just dip the straw in the nail polish, hold the straw a few inches above your nail, and give a short, strong blow through the straw.  Repeat the process with all the colours until you get your desired look.
 
 ...and here's the final product! I don't know about you, but it reminds me of those big jawbreakers that we used to eat when we were kids.  I'm really happy with how they turned out.  I should note that if your nail polish is too thick, you won't get a good splatter.
Ok, so I said it was messy.  This is what my hands looked like before I got them all cleaned up! Ahhhh!  I used nail polish remover to get the worst of it off and my morning shower got the rest of it all cleaned up.

Love, Kate xo

No comments:

Post a Comment